Five Benefits of Dental Implants
In addition to the obvious advantages of restored chewing, speaking, and smiling, there are other benefits that might not be as obvious, but are important for the patient:
- Feel: The patient will enjoy the fact that their dental implant and restoration feel just like one of their biological teeth and functions just as well.
- Look: With the artistry of your dentist, the cosmetic restoration will match all surrounding teeth making it virtually impossible to tell which tooth was ever missing.
- Long lasting: Once treatment is completed, the patient can expect the dental implant itself to last for decades.
- Facial structure is improved or maintained: If tooth loss is not corrected, the jaws can shrivel as bone deteriorates. This can result in outward facial changes.
- Save adjacent teeth: A dental implant actually promotes bone strength. If tooth loss is not corrected with an implant, bone resorption might impact neighboring teeth.
The Dental Implant Process
The implant dentist will perform a thorough dental exam to determine the patient qualifies for a dental implant. If insufficient bone is evidenced through x-rays, there are procedures available to augment bone as needed.
The dental implant is a small titanium post that is surgically placed in gum tissue. While healing occurs, bone is incorporating the implant to form a strong support structure for the restoration that will eventually be placed.
Periodic dental visits will allow your progress to be monitored. Follow all instructions provided to prevent infection.
Once healing is 100% and dental x-rays reveal the implant is securely in place, the cosmetic restoration can be bonded into place. Before this happens, however, it is important that it be tried on to make sure it fits correctly for functionality and looks natural.
It is important to protect your investment … brush twice daily, floss, and visit our team at Forever Young Dentistry as recommended for cleaning and dental exam.